Did you know that some of the patients who get Invisalign® braces do not realize the full benefit thereof? Orthodontic treatment is one of those dental procedures that take time before the desired results are realized.
The opportunity to fully beautify your smile by straightening your teeth with Invisalign in Tucker, GA, only works if you heed the instructions of your dentist in caring for your aligners while you undergo treatment.
What Are Invisalign Braces?
They are oral appliances used in orthodontics to straighten and reposition teeth in the mouth. The teeth aligners are usually referred to as invisible or clear aligners, based on the material used to make them.
Unlike traditional metal braces, invisible braces near you feature a transparent plastic-like material, creating a tray of aligners worn over teeth to move and rotate them in the jawline of your mouth. The transparency of the material is the leading reason why these teeth aligners are popular globally, especially among adults who are particular about cosmetic-friendly dental solutions.
Tips on Caring for Your Invisible Aligners Throughout Treatment
Taking care of your invisible teeth aligners is a big part of your treatment. If they are in good shape, then your teeth will respond to the treatment as per the dentist’s plan. Some of the tips crucial during orthodontic treatment with Invisalign aligners include:
- Maintain excellent oral hygiene – the last thing you want is to jump from one oral problem to another. The build-up of plaque and tartar on teeth may lead to the risk of getting dental decay, cavities, and even gum infection. Therefore, be attentive to brush your teeth twice each day and flossing every day. Besides, clean your Invisalign every time you remove them, before taking them out. For this, you may need to talk to a dentist near you about the proper way to clean your invisible aligners without damaging them.
- Avoid using toothpaste on the aligners -your natural teeth may benefit a lot from toothpaste, but your clear aligners will not. The toothpaste tends to dull the sheen of the aligners since they are transparent. The staining will also work against the entire idea of anonymity with clear braces. Avoid all other detergents that are too abrasive for the invisible aligners. In that case, be sure to consult your dentist about the best way to clean your aligners without damaging them.
- Wear them for at least 20 hours daily – your orthodontist will stress this matter. For the clear braces to work within the projected time frame and be effective, you have to keep them on for at least 20 hours daily. Better yet, wear them for 22 hours, to ensure that the pressure applied over your teeth is constant to move and rotate teeth as per the treatment plan.
- Visit your dentist periodically – your dentist will give you tentative dates for when you should visit the dental office next. These costs are necessary to ensure that you get a change of aligners. Invisalign braces need to be changed every couple of weeks. Our dentist near you will schedule visits about 6 weeks or so apart, where you get new teeth aligners that will be tighter than the previous ones.
- Remove them when you eat – invisible aligners are delicate. You have to remove them when you eat, ensuring you do not damage them. Besides, it is the best way to ensure they remain clean instead of staining them.
- Rinse and soak them – between the periods you remove them, avoid leaving your aligners out in the open. They need to be kept moist at all times. Besides, when the aligners are out in the open, they are exposed to more bacteria, which can be detrimental to your oral health. Instead, soak them once you remove them for a long period, or rinse them when they have been out of your mouth for a few minutes. Better yet, keep the clear aligners in their case for those moments you forget to soak them.
Being intentional with your dental health throughout your orthodontic treatment is crucial for achieving the desired oral goals. With invisible dental braces, be ready to make the necessary adjustments to ensure the effectiveness of the aligners and the success of the treatment thereof.
If you want to know more about Invisalign, call us now to schedule a consultation with our dentist near you. You can also visit our dental clinic if you are residing in Northlake, Empire Square, Payton Oaks Pl, Hudson Court, Robinhill Dr, and surrounding communities.